Sharon Hawley has finished her bicycle trip in Canada for this summer. She hopes to complete the adventure in another year. Please follow her winter adventure at http://sharonswinter.blogspot.com/

Route Map

Route Map

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Friendly Lowland

I left Canmore with its towering monoliths seeming ordinary, almost inconsequential compared to the stunning jags that allowed me to see their icy points the last few lovely days in the Canadian Rockies. The steep-walled canyon containing touristy Canmore widened as I pedaled away, coasted and pushed gently by wind, downstream toward the lowland. Rock-bare peaks of the past became forested up to their summits. Then grass intruded below them, pushing dense trees to the tops of hills. Finally, the trees lost dominance everywhere, replaced by rolling grassland. Rocks and glacial morraines of the Rockies became grassy pasture, fenced for livestock. Elk, moose and bighorn sheep stepped aside for domesticated cattle and horses.

As I descended, the air warmed. Off came my yellow Gortex outer jacket, my windproof hood, and knitted head bogan. With higher sun and lower elevation, off came the leg-warming tights and finger-thawing glove liners. Finally even the gloves. All these things I had worn every day, all day, since Jasper.

I stopped in Exshaw for breakfast. I felt happy to be away from tourism and in an almost-town—gas pumps, store, cafĂ©—all run by a family, food prepared by the owner—twice the food for half the Canmore price. The school bus came while I ate, and the owners’ boy ran out, ran back to deposit his bicycle helmet, ran out again to the bus.

A wide meandering river washes rocks and sand out of the mountains; and, alongside it, a warm nomad. Out onto the piedmont it deposits us on friendly lowland. Here in Cochrane, I will sleep upstairs, over the bar in the 1904 Rockview Hotel, where the bathroom is down the hall. I think the prairie, when it comes tomorrow will be nice.

5 comments:

  1. I love the striptease you're doing, it's reassuring, the icy heights relax and lowlands and get dressed in green, and you can just wear a grass skirt too. It reminds us how much a life can change, from the formidable (yet attractive) cold to the friendly prarie. I certainly know this ... and glide with you coasting, "pushed gently by the winds, downstream..." I'll bring my laptop to Caltech Poetry at the Red Door today. Maybe you'll be waiting there... at least virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sharon, Thanks for the chance to vicarioulsy see all these wonderful places. I'd love to see all these things for real. I have to admit that I'm glad I don't have to cycle them in the ice and snow. Congratulations to you for pulling this off! LOve and hugs to you for the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't riding downhill wonderful? Check those brakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Kath, it starts sounding like a striptease in some nightclub, all those cold-weather clothes coming off, and after five days in the cold, the warmth of lowland is comforting. Thanks

    Mina, it's good to hear from you, join in with me and have fun, vicariously is safer. Why don't I learn that. hehe.

    Thanks Steven, both brakes working. Now the problem is not grade, but wind. So far the wind has been favorable or absent here on the prairie. I hope it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up on your progress. Missed it since the last segment I enjoyed. Your descriptions are a moveable feast on wheels. I enjoy the pace and conversation and of course the poetic observations that allow the reader to really enter the landscape and its people. That hotel looks mightly sweet.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete